Don Carrasino and the Murdered Mobster
Your guests will play the roles of one of the crooks, killers, mobsters, or gang-members employed by Don Carrasino, a notorious (and notoriously ruthless) mafioso. All of you are regulars at The Joint, Don Carrasino's personal bar.
The eight of you, along with the Don himself and his consigliere (or right-hand man), Danny "Chuckles" Luciano, were enjoying drinks, cards, and conversation at The Joint. The evening was shaping up to be quite festive when suddenly Chuckles stiffened in his seat, made a choked gurgling noise, and fell over dead at the bar, clutching at his throat.
Solving the Mystery
Now it's up to all of you to figure out what happened to the Don's right-hand man! Your guests will need to work together and use the game's clues to determine who killed Danny "Chuckles" Luciano!
Don Carrasino and the Murdered Mobster is suitable for 8 guests (or 8 couples), including the host or hostess. The available guests include:
- Gino Cabella, the Hitman: Well dressed, soft-spoken, and cold as ice, Gino is an expert at "taking care of" people who end up on the Don's wrong side.
- Catalina "Crazy Cat" Macciano, the Shooter: As quick with a smile or a ribald joke as she is quick to anger, Catalina is the Don's top gunslinger.
- Claudia Navarra, the Don's Girl: Beautiful, sultry, and salacious, Claudia is the Don's main squeeze.
- Antonio "Lefty" Bonocello, the Don's Bodyguard: Responsible for the Don's personal security, Lefty is a silent, menacing giant of a man.
- Lorenzo Pennino, the Driver: Talkative, likable, and quick-witted, Lorenzo takes care of the gang's transportation needs, whether that means serving as chauffeur or getaway driver.
- "Dirty" Vinnie Marino, the Conman: A smooth dresser and a smooth talker, Dirty Vinnie's good looks and silver tongue have always brought him good fortune.
- Roxie "Stiletto" Russo, the Thug: Beautiful and dangerous, Roxie is a street-wise, short-tempered lady who is good to have on your side when things get thick.
- Regina Guissepe, the Bartender: Only peripherally involved in the gang's affairs, Regina serves drinks and runs the till at The Joint, Don Carrasino's favorite bar.
Our line of 30 Minute Mysteries is specially designed for fast setup and easy play. All you need to do to get started is:
- Print out the party guide
- Gather together a group of players
- Hand out character sheets and name tags
- Follow along with the instructions
Best of all, the party facilitator can choose whether they join in the game and solve the mystery along with the other guests!
Playing the Game
30 Minute Mysteries are intended to be played around a table by eight people (or up to eight couples). Each of the players will be assigned a character and given a character sheet that explains who or what their character is, what information their character knows, and how their character should respond to events that occur during the game.
The game will progress in rounds. Round One will start with the party's host or hostess reading a script that explains the nature of the mystery that is afoot. After the introduction is read, each player at the table will share a piece of information from their character sheet, and all the other players will have an opportunity to respond to that piece of information.
Next Round Two begins with the facilitator sharing a clue that should shed further light on the mystery. After the clue is revealed, the players will once again go around the table, providing another piece of information and then responding.
After the second time around the table, the game will proceed to the Final Round. The Final Round begins with the facilitator sharing the last clue. The players then go around the table a final time, sharing their last piece of information and responding to each other.
By this point, the players should have learned enough information to be able to piece together a theory about who was responsible for the murder. Each player (or couple) will say the name of the person who they think is responsible. The facilitator will then read the final page of the mystery aloud, revealing the culprit. Any player or couple who correctly guessed the identity of the killer is declared a winner.
From start to finish, the entire game should generally only require half an hour to complete.
Note: As the host or hostess, there are certain times when you will be called upon to read aloud passages from this booklet. Passages that are meant to be read aloud will be clearly labeled and contained in a gray box.
What Do I Need in Order to Play?
Our 30-Minute Mysteries are specifically designed to not require very much in the way of supplies. All you really need is:
- a table to sit around (or a large playing area where the guests can sit in a circle)
- a group of players (the minimum is eight; if you have more than eight, multiple guests can work together to play the same character)
- a printed copy of this booklet
- a pair of scissors (to cut out nametag placards for each character)
- pencils or pens for each player
- Scratch paper (for players to take notes on)
- Folders (to help players conceal their character sheets)
Don Carrasino and the Murdered Mobster is a 26-page downloadable PDF file that you print at home. It includes the following features:
- An introduction that explains the basic principles of running a 30-Minute Mystery
- A detailed party guidebook that will walk you through the event in a simple, easy-to-understand format
- Nametags and character sheets for each player - the character sheets include special goals and information unique to each character
- Step-by-step printing instructions
- And much more!