Murder in Manhattan
You and your guests have been invited to the anniversary bash of Mr. Francis Fisk, a noted businessman. The attendees include a number of Fisk’s high-society friends, family members, and business associates. These high society sophisticates live in a world of intrigue, gossip, treachery and endless jockeying for social superiority.
Things take a turn for the deadly when a rolling blackout provides someone with the opportunity to advance their social agenda in a more brutally direct fashion than most of the guests are familiar with. When the lights come back on, a grisly crime is discovered!
Solving the Mystery
Reputations are at stake and no one at the party wants to risk the scandal of press and police involvement. Now the guests must work together to sift through the evidence and identify the killer in their midst!
Murder in Manhattanis suitable for 10-25 guests, including the host or hostess. In this particular game, the host or hostess will play the role of Taylor Walker, the head caterer. The available guests include:
- Alexei Siranov - Security: Doorman at Fisk’s building and security for the party, Alexei is in charge of making sure none of the lower classes get into the celebration.
- Chester Fisk - Playboy: The debauchery and indulgence of the life of the upper class run hand in hand with this well-known playboy, younger brother of Jonathon and Francis. He owns the Castle, a hotel known for ruining the reputations of many celebrities and socialites.
- David Kreig - Author: David published a biting satire on Upper East Side personalities—recently at the tope of the New York Times bestseller list—which everyone suspects is based on actual socialites.
- Francis Fisk - Real Estate Tycoon: This party is being thrown by Francis in celebration of his company’s twenty-five years of success in real estate. He is very well known and always throws the most elegant parties.
- Grayson Kreig - Rock Star: A one-hit wonder, Grayson was once part of the band Eagle’s Rose, which has long since broken up.
- Isaac Corrington - Retired Senator: Although retired from government life, Isaac is the head of the politically active Corrington family. Easily the king of the Upper East Side socialites, Isaac has played the social and political scene for years.
- Jesse Corrington - Journalist: Editor of a biting online gossip site, Jesse is known for only publishing verifiable rumors. He comes from one of the most powerful families on the Upper East Side.
- Jonathon Fisk - Outcast: Jonathon runs Fisk Enterprises in Australia and has been invited back to New York for his brother’s big celebration. Rumor says he left due to some scandal that was covered up.
- Richard den Waldern - Philanthropist: A young but prominent philanthropist, he is known for giving generously to children’s charities around the country. He was recently in Florida on vacation.
- Sam Lily - Lawyer: Sam is an entertainment lawyer known for his famous clients and sharp sense of humor.
- Zachary Wellington - Architect: A board member of Fisk Enterprises from Chicago, he is attending the event with his daughter Candice.
- Ashley LeBois - Editor: Up-and-coming queen of the younger generation, Ashley is the editor of Runway, a popular fashion magazine. She rules the younger generation with well-timed rumors and vicious social takedowns.
- Candice Wellington - New Girl: Candice is both Zachary’s daughter and his assistant. This is her first time in New York.
- Davana Gudriov - Housekeeper: Ashley’s maid and housekeeper, Davana has been looking out for Ashley since she was a little girl.
- Francine (Frank) Rose - Debutante: A cousin of the den Walderns from Florida, Frank recently arrived in New York and is making her debut among the upper class.
- Gwen Kreig - Rising Star: New to the social scene, Gwen is a fashion designer with cutting-edge style and swift social-climbing ambitions.
- Helen LeBois - Designer: Helen owns and designs her own line of haute couture fashion, catering only to the rich and fabulous.
- Irene den Waldern - Party Planner: Irene runs a very successful public relations firm that caters to the Upper East Side and numerous celebrities and socialites. She is throwing this party for Francis.
- Jo Chase - Filmmaker: New to the scene, Jo makes documentaries and is filming the party for a new documentary.
- Mercy Neist - Scheming Socialite: A well-known socialite, Mercy mysteriously left New York a few years ago and has only just returned from traveling abroad. She is a troublemaker and a schemer who used to give Ashley a run for her money.
- Rose den Waldern - Queen: Queen bee of the older socialites, Rose rules the Upper East Side with an iron fist inside a silken glove.
Male or Female Roles
- Callaway Lee - Bartender: Callaway was hired by Irene to be attentive and discreet as well as to keep the drinks flowing.
- Jamie Lavigne - Caterer: Jamie was hired by Irene to be attentive and discreet and to make sure the party runs smoothly.
- Sydney O’Connor - Caterer: Sydney was hired by Irene to be attentive and discreet and to make sure the party runs smoothly.
- Taylor Walker - Head Caterer: (Played by the Host/Hostess) Taylor was hired by Irene to be attentive and discreet, as well as to run the staff and make sure the party goes as planned.
Follow these steps to host this mystery:
- Each guest will each assume the role of a particular character
Mystery Parties involve a combination of improvisational acting, storytelling, and creative problem solving. Each guest will play the part of that character throughout the course of the game. Each character has specific personality traits, goals, secrets, and information, all of which are included in the character sheet; a big part of the fun is getting into character and taking on a new, exciting role.
- A mysterious Event will occur
At some point during the party, an Event will occur that will force the players to come together in order to solve a problem or unravel a mystery. Traditionally, the Event in question will be the murder of one of the characters (as played by a guest), but the parties crafted by Playing With Murder often use this basic framework to accommodate different types of Events, thereby ensuring that your guests will be surprised and entertained (even if they are veteran murder mystery party players).
- Solve the mystery!
Your guests will need to use the information that their characters know (as well as additional clues that are provided during the game) to solve the mystery or overcome the problem posed by the Event. Typically this culminates in the guests voting on the identity of the murderer, but again, different parties will have different specific goals. All of our parties also come complete with additional subgames (treasure hunts, unique character goals and special puzzles) that are guaranteed to keep the action intense and your guests motivated and focused.
First time hosting a murder mystery party?
Visit our How to Host a Mystery Party page to get step-by-step instructions on how to prepare for your murder mystery party.
Murder in Manhattan is a 162-page downloadable PDF file that you print at home. It includes the following features:
- An introduction that explains the basic principles of running a mystery-party and provides specific tips on props, menu items, sound effects, and special tips to help make your party exciting, memorable and easy to run
- Step-by-step instructions on how to prepare for your party
- A detailed party guidebook that will walk you through the event in a simple, easy-to-understand format
- Nametags and character sheets for each player - the character sheets include tips on costuming and role-playing, as well special goals and gossip unique to each character
- Fully customizable invitations, complete with RSVP cards and guest lists
- 13 pages of gorgeously illustrated full color props and clues for use during the scavenger hunt
- Voting sheets
- Customizable awards for your guests
- And much more!
With your purchase of Murder in Manhattan you will also receive the following:
- Step-by-step printing instructions
- A zip file of mp3 audio effects for use with your party
- Instructions on how to use these audio clips to best effect
Playing With Murder offers several audio files for use with each of our Mystery Party Kits. The audio clip below provides a sample montage of the sound effects included with Murder in Manhattan.
Play audio sample:
The specific audio files for Murder in Manhattan include:
- The background sounds of a spirited cocktail party
- The scream of the murder victim